How Many Square Feet Do I Need?
Rules of Thumb The general rule is to allow 185 to 250 usable square feet per person of office space depending upon the type and style of the business which you are operating. See our square footage calculator on our home page to determine which criteria your office falls under. It is also important to consider your special needs such as extra-large conference rooms or storage requirement. The following standards can be used to help estimate the amount of usable office space is required for your business.
- Presidents Office or Chairman of the Board: 300 to 400 sq. ft. (4-5 windows in length)
- Vice Presidents Office: 200 to 300 sq. ft. (3-4 windows in length)
- Executive's Office: 150 to 200 sq. ft. (2 windows in length)
- Partitioned Open Space, Clerical Supervisor or Manager: 80 to 110 sq. ft.
- Open space, Clerical or Administrative Assistant: 60 to 110 sq. ft.
- Conference Rooms: 15 sq. ft. per person (theater style) or 25 to 30 sq. ft. per person (conference seating)
- Mail Room: 8 to 9 ft. wide with 30' counters on either side (length depends upon amount of usage)
- Reception Area: 125 to 200 sq. ft. (receptionist and 2-4 people in waiting) or 200 to 300 sq. ft. (receptionist and 6-8 people in waiting)
- File Room: 7 sq. ft. per filing cabinet with 3'-4' aisle width
- Lunch Room: 15 sq. ft. per person not including kitchen (kitchen should be between 1/3 to 1/2 of seating area)